How do you get coconut milk? You can either buy it or make it at home. We’ve been making it at home for years now. It’s not hard to do and is very inexpensive. We’ve made milkshakes, ice cream, pies, soups and more.
Coconut has medium chain fatty acids that are very beneficial to your body.We us it in place of regular milk in our favorite recipes.
This is how I make it:
We crack open raw coconuts and get the meat out. If you do it this way, you need 1 1/2 C. water per coconut.
4 C. shredded coconut flakes
1 1/2 C. water, (you can add up to 1/2 C. more if needed)
- Heat water to almost boiling.
- Put the coconut pieces or shredded coconut into your blender or Vitamix.
- Blend on highest speed until it’s smooth and looks creamy
- Strain it through a coliander to get most of the liquid, then squeeze out the rest in a cloth strainer. You can use cheesecloth or a clean towel.
- Now you can drink it, use it in a recipe or store it in the fridge. It will keep for 3 to 4 days.
If the milk starts to separate from the water, just shake well before using.